Summer/Fall Communications and Development Intern
Posted: March 29, 2018
Founded in 2010, Eskolta School Research and Design is a non-profit organization that helps urban public schools improve results for their most vulnerable youth. We consult with teachers, school principals, and school district staff to interpret existing data and research, use this to launch and share practices in their schools, test those practices in order to improve and adapt them to their student needs, and help them to disseminate learning so that more educators can learn from their experience. We complement this site-based work with coaching to school district staff and research on school-based work to better understand how change occurs in public schools. To learn more, visit www.eskolta.org.
Eskolta is seeking a talented and creative undergraduate or graduate student to serve as a Communications and Development Intern. This role will work closely with the Manager of Communications and Design and the Development Manager on communicating Eskolta’s work to external audiences, writing/editing of materials, and supporting fundraising efforts. In addition, the intern will have the opportunity to be exposed to the exciting work we are doing with innovative public schools. The intern will work at Eskolta office at 50 Broad Street in downtown Manhattan and will be paid an hourly rate of $13.50/hr for graduate students and $11.00/hr for undergraduate students. Hours are flexible and there will be variability across the year, but candidates must be able to commit to 10-20 hours per week to the internship.
DURATION Start: June 1, 2018 End: December 1, 2018
Core Job Qualifications: Any applicant for a job at Eskolta must be:
- A self-starter with the ability to move a project forward in a small, entrepreneurial environment
- A good listener, patient, open-minded, and responsive to client needs
- Highly organized with the ability to meet deadlines, give attention to details, and multitask
- Flexible and have a sense of humor
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Additional Job Qualifications:
Candidates should have most of the qualifications listed below:
- Understanding of social media strategy for non-profits
- Familiarity with or willingness to learn about various aspects of coordinating a fundraising event
- Familiarity with or willingness to learn using Salesforce for entering data and tracking fundraising activities
- Comfort interacting professionally with outside organizations, public school staff, students, and members of the public on Eskolta’s behalf
Based on the interests and experience of the intern, work assignments may include:
- Research, write, and edit content for Eskolta’s website, newsletter, and social media platforms including Twitter and LinkedIn
- Photograph Eskolta events and edit photos using Photoshop (depending on interest)
- Conduct prospect research and track key information to expand Eskolta’s list of prospective funders
- Provide support to the Development Manager on the planning of Eskolta’s annual fundraiser
- Assist with data entry and tracking of organization contacts and fundraising activities
In order to be considered, include a resume, a sample of recent writing that, regardless of topic, is clear, cogent, and covers a nonfiction topic in under three pages, along with a cover letter. To apply, send cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.