Director of Business Operations
Posted: January 19, 2018
Founded in 2010, Eskolta School Research and Design, Inc. is a non-profit organization that helps urban public schools improve results for their most vulnerable youth. We consult with teachers, school principals, and school district staff to interpret existing data and research, use this to launch and share practices in their schools, test those practices in order to improve and adapt them to their student needs, and help them to disseminate learning so that more educators can learn from their experience. We complement this site-based work with coaching to school district staff and research on school-based work to better understand how change occurs in public schools.
Since Eskolta’s founding, we have helped 1,000 educators reach 20,000 underserved students—in schools where 84 percent of students are black or Hispanic and 84 percent are eligible for free or reduced-price lunch. Our impact data shows that 92% of educators report improvement on how they design teaching materials focused on rigorous academic skills; 82% report improvement on how they provide actionable individual feedback to students to promote learning mindsets; and 84% of students report improvements in how they take and monitor steps to improve skills. We have produced research helping the NYC Department of Education to better understand how they leverage teacher leadership and continuous improvement to help all students learn.
Working with Eskolta is a unique opportunity to join an organization that is at the forefront of the effort to turn around the dropout problem through innovative education reform. We are dedicated to supporting a healthy work/life balance for everyone we work with by supporting a talented team while building a flexible workplace. To learn more, visit http://www.eskolta.org.
Eskolta encourages individuals of all backgrounds to apply for this position, and we do not discriminate on any basis prohibited by applicable law. We celebrate the diversity of our nation and communities, and we seek to build a team that reflects that diversity. We welcome and encourage all qualified applicants who share that same vision, as we want to engage all those who can contribute to our work and this mission.
To help manage current and future growth, Eskolta is hiring its first Director of Business Operations. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Business Operations will be responsible for creating and enhancing internal processes and infrastructure that will allow Eskolta to continue its support of urban school districts and expand its impact to new geographies. Overseeing a team of 2-3 direct reports and working closely with all members of the organization as a member of the management team, the Director of Business Operations will play a critical role in overseeing a variety of functions central to Eskolta’s ability to fulfill its mission.
Your Responsibilities will include:
Financial Management and Oversight
- Collaborate with Executive Director and Operations Manager to drive annual budgeting process and monitor budget goals throughout the year
- Oversee day to day accounting operations
- Ensure accurate and timely compliance with city, state and federal nonprofit regulations as well as reporting and yearly tax filing
- Manage annual audit process
- Partner with development staff to track fundraising progress and prepare financial reports for foundations and others as needed
- Oversee the development and implementation of performance management and professional development systems and processes
- Manage the employee benefits and personnel programs to align with Eskolta’s commitment to a diverse and inclusive environment with a focus on work/life balance
- Ensure accurate and compelling job descriptions are created and oversee hiring plans
- Ensure an efficient and effective process for contracting with partner schools
- Work in partnership with Executive Director, Board and other staff to develop and execute on strategic growth plans
Your Skill Set:
As the incoming Director of Business Operations, you will possess many, though perhaps not all, of the following characteristics and qualifications:
- 5 or more years of experience overseeing a variety of business operations functions in a nonprofit environment, ideally in a fast paced, innovative organization; experience working in education or ed-reform is a plus, but is not required
- Experience managing diverse revenue streams including restricted and unrestricted funds and government funding; experience managing compliance with government grants preferred
- Proven experience coordinating audit activities and overseeing general ledger, budgeting and payroll
- Familiarity with managing human resources policies and systems; creative at researching best practices and developing and implementing new and improved approaches to talent and operations
- A proven track record of thinking strategically, translating plans into action, and exhibiting excellent judgment and integrity
- Outstanding planning and project management skills with the ability to positively engage others in completing projects and processes with strong results, high quality and on time
- Experience as a manager, leader and team player; bringing a sense of creativity, collaboration, an entrepreneurial spirit and action-orientation
- Excellent relationship-building skills with an ability to work with a variety of stakeholders
- Flexible and adaptive work style with the ability to thrive in a growing, entrepreneurial, mission-driven environment with a strong focus on diversity, inclusion and work/life balance
- Demonstrated financial management software experience required; working knowledge of QuickBooks preferred
- Strong commitment to and passion for Eskolta’s mission
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred
Benefits & Eskolta’s Commitment to Work/Life Balance
Eskolta is committed to supporting a flexible, results-oriented work environment. To that end, we are able to offer:
- 6 weeks of paid annual days off in addition to Eskolta’s 10 paid holidays
- 401k match of 5%
- Health insurance coverage
- Flexible Savings Accounts to make transportation, medical costs, and dependent care tax deductible
- Fully paid family leave for up to 12 weeks
- Participation in an innovative, caring, growing environment
How to join our team
Please upload a resume and thoughtful cover letter, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position and stating how you heard about this opportunity, both in Word format, addressed to Michael Rothman, Executive Director at http://commongoodcareers.force.com/careers/ts2__Register?jobId=a0K1L00000otW1S&tSource=. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
About Commongood Careers
Eskolta has partnered with Commongood Careers to conduct the search for a Director of Business Operations. Commongood Careers is a mission-driven search firm that supports the hiring needs of high-impact nonprofits. With an approach that leverages robust talent networks, recruitment and search management expertise, and a deep understanding of our clients’ missions and cultures, we help organizations secure the talent they need to create greater social impact. Since our founding in 2005, Commongood Careers has led more than 700 searches at 275 organizations in 33 states, making us one of the most experienced and dedicated nonprofit search firms in the country. Learn more about nonprofit job opportunities at Commongood Careers.