Communications FellowPosted: April 12, 2019
Who We Are
Founded in 2010, Eskolta School Research and Design is a non-profit organization that works with teachers to reinvent schools so that youth who faced personal and structural adversity in the past, are empowered to achieve their potential and make our society better in the future. We believe that teachers have the solutions to the challenges schools face. We partner with teachers, school principals, and school district staff to understand the data they already possess as well as the current academic research on learning. We complement this site-based work with coaching to school district staff and research on school-based work to better understand how change occurs in public schools.
We seek to continuously challenge ourselves to exhibit respect, focus, balance, integrity, and justice. To that end, Eskolta strives to be an antiracist organization, using its influence to fight against social injustice by supporting a culture of learning, empowerment, and equity in our schools. Applicants should demonstrate a knowledge of and concern for issues of equity and justice and an understanding of how structural injustice has impacted the experience of underserved students.
Eskolta is seeking to build our team of talented staff serving schools and district partners as they research and redesign practices and facilitate continuous improvement to re-engage students to paths of success.
The Communications Fellow work closely with the Manager of Communications and Design to support various daily activities and lead on specific projects and will have the opportunity to be exposed to the exciting work we are doing with innovative public schools. The fellow will work 20-25 hours per week and should be able to commit to working with Eskolta for at least one year.
- Pitch campaigns for social media and manage a social media calendar (research, write, and edit content for Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn)
- Write engaging copy for Eskolta’s website and newsletter showcasing Eskolta’s work
- Create and update web posts and pages on WordPress
- Support with basic print design needs using InDesign
- Assist with data entry and tracking of organization contacts and publications
- Depending on interest/skills: Photograph events, edit and organize photos using Photoshop/Lightroom, develop simple audio or video clips
- A bachelor’s degree in a relevant field, including art, journalism, marketing, media studies, communications, or public relations.
- Passion for or experience working in public K-12 education
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience managing social media for companies/nonprofits, including knowledge of social media analytics and strategies for increasing social media presence and engagement
- Experience writing copy for web and social media
- Familiarity with or willingness to learn using Salesforce for entering data and tracking activities
- Comfort interacting professionally with outside organizations, public school staff, students, and members of the public on Eskolta’s behalf
- Highly organized with the ability to meet deadlines, give attention to details, and multitask
Submit a resume, a writing sample (public-facing content such as a blog post or article preferred), and thoughtful cover letter to Danielle L. Green, Director of Operations (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the position of interest in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.